Cosmetic Dentistry in North & South Carolina
Having poorly shaped teeth or discolored teeth can really affect your self-esteem. However, we can perform a variety of procedures to improve your smile. There are many dental techniques that can be used to treat teeth that are discolored, chipped, misshapen or missing. In dentistry, cosmetic procedures can range from whitening your teeth to replacing missing teeth. These improvements are part of cosmetic dentistry and most people are turning to them to boost their appearance.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is any form of dentistry that aims at improving your mouth and teeth appearance. It mainly focuses on improving the color, alignment, shape and overall smile appearance. Most cosmetic dentistry procedures are elective; however, some have restorative benefits.
Who is a Cosmetic Dentist?
A cosmetic dentist is a restorative dentist who has specialized in giving you a brighter and better smile. Cosmetic dentists undergo continuous education and accreditation to be able to keep up with emerging trends in cosmetic dentistry.
Types of Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
There are different types of cosmetic dentistry procedures. All cosmetic dentistry treatments improve the appearance of an individual’s teeth. The most common procedures used are:
- Dental Veneers – Veneers are small pieces of porcelain that are made to fit over the front teeth. They act as a substitute to the enamel. They help treat discolored teeth. They can also be used to close gaps between front teeth and repair cracks in teeth.
- Crowns – Crowns are used to cover a heavily damaged tooth when it is broken or heavily filled. They help restore its appearance and strength. In most cases natural looking porcelain crowns are used to cap the teeth.
- Tooth Whitening – If you need to lighten the natural color of your teeth, this procedure will be ideal. Tooth whitening lightens the existing shade of your teeth. The procedure involves removing tartar , plaque, and other debris the teeth surface restoring their natural shade. Teeth can also be bleached to achieve a much lighter shade.
- Composite Bonding – Composite bonding refers to the using of material that resembles the tooth enamel to repair damaged or discolored teeth using. The dentist drills the affected tooth and uses composite to cover the damage tooth and moulds it into the required shape. This gives the damaged tooth a new appearance of a healthy tooth.
- Inlays & Onlays – Inlays and Onlays refer to fabricated fillings made from composite resin materials that strengthen teeth and avoid further decay. They are well made in a dental laboratory to match the color of surrounding teeth. In most cases they are referred to as indirect fillings and are used when a tooth has little decay or when there is poor tooth structure that can hardly support a filling. An inlay is placed onto the tooth surface when a small portion of a tooth is damaged. An onlay is used when a tooth is greatly damaged and covers the entire tooth’s surface.
Which procedure is right for me?
In order to understand which procedure would be ideal for you, it is important that you visit Friendly Dental Group. We will be able to advise you on the various techniques that can be used to improve your smile. We will ask you about your expectations then suggest the best procedure.
What questions should you ask your dentist before settling for a cosmetic dentistry procedure?
If you are considering a cosmetic dentistry procedure, you need to get some clarity on some issues. Ask one of our dentists about the expected changes to your looks. Our dentists will consult you on what procedures to expect during the whole process and how long the process will take. They will also inform you on the best way to maintain the region or tooth that has been worked on.
As seen above, dentistry has gone to a whole new level. It is not only important for filling and taking out teeth but also can be used to improve your appearance. If you want to improve your smile, it is important that you find a qualified cosmetic dentist. Friendly Dental Group has been at the forefront in cosmetic dentistry and our cosmetic dentists use the latest products and technology to support responsible esthetics. By choosing us, you are guaranteed the best dental care available!
Book an appointment with us today!